Friendship, the chance to extend yourself with exciting activities and to learn a bit more about managing T1 with other Teens facing similar challenges!
Teen Camp is for those aged 12-15 years and runs in April each year. Teen Camp is run by DYA Volunteers and Starship Medical Professionals, with Youth Leaders along to help out. Places are limited to 30 kids each year.
Exciting new location and activities each year
Dates – 14th – 17th April 2020
- Teen Camp is a fantastic chance for Teens with Type 1 Diabetes to go away on an active outdoor camp free from their parents!
- Their diabetes care is looked after by Starship doctors and nurses.
- The Teens get to meet others with Type 1 Diabetes and build up a support network of friends.
- They get to be in an environment where everyone is checking blood sugars, injecting insulin and treating lows.
- Teens get to challenge themselves by trying new activities and being active outdoors.
- Many of the Youth Leaders have Type 1 Diabetes themselves and act as mentors.
- Teens are encouraged to step up and learn about managing their diabetes, whilst receiving support and encouragement from Medical Staff.
- Parents get a break from daily diabetes care.
- Most Teens are anxious about coming along if they haven’t been to camp before, but with the closeness of the camp environment and facilitation from the Leaders, friendship formation happens quickly!
Registration opens about three months ahead of camp and is advertised on our website, our email newsletter, our Facebook page and through Medical clinics.