- Physical activity (exercise) is very good for all people and especially those with diabetes
- Getting started may not be easy, but is possible once you take those first few steps
- You may need to see your health care team and have a medical check before increasing your level of physical activity
- Moderate exercise done most days of the week is best
- Aerobic exercise (exercise that uses up oxygen) is best for improving your health
- You don’t have to do a huge amount of exercise to improve your health (the equivalent of 20-30 minutes walk each day)
Regular physical activity doesn’t mean exercising to become an Olympic athlete! The best sort of physical activity is something of the equivalent effort of walking briskly for 30 minutes on most days of the week. This does not have to be in one 30 minute block. Shorter amounts (eg: 5 or 10 minute blocks that all add up to at least 30 minutes daily) work just as well.